Sunday, September 28, 2008

20 years ago

I'm teaching 2 grade 7/8 classes music this year. It's actually a lot of fun. We have a new grade 7 program and text that we're following that both I and the students enjoy (Spotlight on Music 7). The intoductory chapter is all about music through the generations. It explains what generations are and how music identifies with certain generations as well as music that is considered timeless.
So I posed the question: 20 years from now you'll all be in your early 30's what is the music that you all will hear and say, that was THE song?
-I'll be so old, one girl said (I'm exactly 20 years older than these kids)
So here I am 20 years later, looking back.
According to Billboard, the top 5 albums of 1988 were:
1. Faith by George Michael
2. Need You Tonight by INXS
3. Got My Mind Set On You by George Harrison
4. Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley
5. Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns and Roses
Do I relate? Absolutely I could sing along with any one of these songs. My favorite of these? Definately INXS, I loved INXS! What else was I listening to back then? The Dirty Dancing Soundtrack, Def Leppard, Tiffany (I was 12 after all), Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam (remember them?), Debbie Gibson, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston...



This is me with Sarah and Sema at our grade 7 'grad' dance. Look at those pastels. Oh, we thought we were so cool back then, just about to go into high school (no middle school where I was). It was our first dance (now that I think about it, why do our middle schoolers get a dance every month?) and I can remember that it was such a big deal that the 2 (count 'em 2) class couples were slow dancing together. Life's changed a bit for our 7th graders hasn't it?

I also had a lot of fun trying to explain what generations were and about how old they are now. They inevitably asked me which I was...good question, I'm not really. I fall into that awkward XY or MTV generation, too young to be X, too old to be Y, can relate to both but not really either. My friend Karrie is definately X, my brother Jeff is definately Y. Wikipedia used to have a good article on it, until some bonehead decided to delete most of it. Maybe I'll write more about it later.

No comments:

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP