Monday, August 10, 2009

Are we becoming less literate?

This is something that has been bugging me more and more often. We are being presented information visually via pictures and video more often than via the written word. Look at the fast food restaurants. Do they print their menu anymore? Nope. Just a big picture wall really with prices on it. And the online news. You used to be able to link to a news story where you could choose to read it or watch the video clip. Now, quite often the option to read it is not available. I like to read. In fact I love to read. I can read and take in information much faster if it is written than if it is on video format. Sure, the video can enhance it, but sometimes I just want to skim over the gist of it, not sit there for 5 minutes while everything gets detailed out to me. Just my Monday morning vent.

No comments:

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP