Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My New Toy

I did it. After how many years of hemming and hawing and saying I didn't need one and feeling intimidated at the thought of having one, I bought a sewing machine.


I'm really glad it came with a how to use DVD because the whole idea of this really intimidated me. I walk into fabric stores and get a feeling that the people working there are looking at me and thinking "what is SHE doing here? SHE doesn't belong". But I also look at the beautiful things my mom and a few of my friends have made and long to be able to do that. It irks me spending money to have Stitch It hem my husband's pants because I know it's probably a very easy thing to do yourself.

Once I got past all that and dove in, it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. And I really enjoyed it. I can see how some people become addicted. I made a little quilt from a quilt kit. Here it is:



I know it isn't perfect, not even close really. But I had fun. I can see the mistakes and take from them all because this was my first project and the whole point was to learn. And I learned a lot. Here's a few things that came up:

-always put the presser foot down - that was a bit of a mess
-watch out for pins coming up the line (I broke a needle because of this)
-a rotary cutter is necessary if I want to make more quilts - I hand cut all the pieces and they were a bit of a mishmash
-check the piecing together part over - one row of blocks is backwards and the rows aren't straight

I actually didn't intend to make a quilt, I wanted to make Olivia some leggings, but I saw this kit and thought it would be a good little project for me. I really like how there are so many different textures in it for her little hands to explore.  I think she likes it too.



Side note: The back is the green stripe flannel. I just didn't take a picture of that.

No comments:

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP